Delacruz Pastry

My photo
Susupe, Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Intro

We are the Delacruz Pastry.

Started in the early 60's, we originated the Chamorro dessert called apigigi.
Through trial and error, Antonio Villagomez Castro (familian Marceliano) created what's now known as apigigi for his ailing wife, Veronica Santos Castro (familian Lencho). Their eldest child, Maria Santos Castro, married to Manuel Tenorio Delacruz (familian Aniguac), carried on the recipe and created The Delacruz Pastry. Now run by their daughter, Consolacion DLC. Torres and family, we continue on with our family legacy and tradition to sustain our Chamorro culture. 

Located in Susupe village in Saipan, we also participate as vendors in Tuesday Farmer's Market, Thursday Garapan Street Market, and Saipan Sabalu Farmer's Market.
To place orders you can reach us at (670) 234-6978.
Or visit us at our kitchen in Susupe.

2 comments:

  1. Great! Congratulations on the site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way that this family was the first to make apigigi. My grandmother, born in the late 1800s, was making this all her life. She taught me and my sisters how to make this dessert, which was WAY tastier than the one from Dela Cruz. My sister, 86 years old, is still living on Saipan, and she makes the best apigigi. Check her out. Her daughter, Lynnette Villagomez, will attest to this.
    Apigigi is a Chamorro dessert, perhaps brought by the Spanish or Filipinos, and has been around for a long time. I have been making it since I was 10, and I am now 76 years old.

    ReplyDelete